Up to the first half of the 1980s, it was considered unwise to operate on a patient with a severely impaired left ventricle (EF < 30%). Surgeons who did so were widely and severely criticized. The concerns were (1) that the risk of surgery would be extremely high, often taking the patient’s life in the process of surgery, and (2) that the patient would manifest an inexorable deterioration toward death regardless of the surgery performed. Courageous surgical efforts in that era led to the safe and commonplace performance of surgical interventions for the failing left ventricle in the present era. This Special Issue takes specific aim at the current status of surgery for patients with severely impaired left ventricles—exploring current indications, current levels of safety, and advanced surgical options.
Dr. John Elefteriades and Dr. Bulat Ziganshin
Manuscripts should be submitted via our online editorial system at https://imr.propub.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to start your submission. Manuscripts can be submitted now or up until the deadline. All papers will go through peer-review process. Accepted papers will be published in the journal (as soon as accepted) and meanwhile listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, reviews as well as short communications are preferred. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office to announce on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts will be thoroughly refereed through a double-blind peer-review process. Please visit the Instruction for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) in this open access journal is 2200 USD. Submitted manuscripts should be well formatted in good English.
- Aortic Valve Replacement in the Failing Left Ventricle: Worthwhile?Asanish Kalyanasundaram, Thais Faggion Vinholo, Mohammad A. Zafar, Osama Anis, ... John A. ElefteriadesRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(7), 223; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm230722351Downloads274Views
- The CorInnova Implantable Cardiac Assist System for Direct Cardiac CompressionGeorge V. Letsou, Christina M. Bolch, Erica C. Hord, William C. Altman, ... John C. CriscioneRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(6), 211; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2306211124Downloads1Citations200Views
- The role of surgery for secondary mitral regurgitation and heart failure in the era of transcatheter mitral valve therapiesPierre-Emmanuel Noly, Françis D. Pagani, Jean-Fançois Obadia, Denis Bouchard, ... Paul C. TangRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(3), 87; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2303087270Downloads1Citations455Views
- Mechanical circulatory support in acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shockAyman Al-atta, Mohammad Zaidan, Ahmed Abdalwahab, Amjad Ghazal Asswad, ... Mohammad AlkhalilRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(2), 71; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2302071322Downloads5Citations612Views
- Coronary revascularization in patients with left ventricle systolic dysfunction, current challenges and clinical outcomesAhmed Abdalwahab, Ayman Al-atta, Mohaned Egred, Mohammad Alkhalil, Azfar ZamanRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(1), 33; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2301033147Downloads1Citations329Views
- Importance of right heart catheterization in advanced heart failure managementJohn M. Cochran, Amit Alam, Cesar Y. Guerrero-MirandaRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(1), 12; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2301012639Downloads6Citations1769Views
- Current status and outcomes in heart transplantation: a narrative reviewMorcos A. Awad, Aakash Shah, Bartley P. GriffithRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2022, 23(1), 11; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2301011939Downloads10Citations1970Views
- SGLT2 inhibitors: a new pillar of the heart failure regimenTravis DeSa, Timothy GongRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2021, 22(4), 1253–1269; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2204133630Downloads2Citations1438Views
- Surgical ventricular restoration for patients with heart failureAli Fatehi Hassanabad, Imtiaz S. AliRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2021, 22(4), 1341–1355; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2204140108Downloads258Views
- Ambulatory home wearable lung: progress and future directionsAakash Shah, Morcos A. Awad, Zhongjun J. Wu, Bartley P. GriffithRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2021, 22(4), 1405–1411; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2204145132Downloads381Views
- Safety and efficacy of less-invasive ventricular enhancement procedure with the transcatheter Revivent TCTM system in patients with left ventricular aneurysm: a systematic reviewCrischentian Brinza, Mircea Cinteza, Iolanda V. Popa, Alexandru BurlacuRev. Cardiovasc. Med. 2021, 22(2), 445–452; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.rcm2202050103Downloads1Citations288Views