- Department of Neurosurgery, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana (AOUP), University of Pisa, Pisa, ItalyInterests: brain tumor; glioblastoma multiforme; low-grade glioma; meningioma; schwannoma; augmented reality; tractography; awake surgerySpecial Issues and Topics in IMR Press journals
In recent years, significant progress has been made in the diagnosis and management of brain tumors. For example, new technologies such as intraoperative ultrasound, intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT), and awake surgery have revolutionized the overall survival and functional outcomes of patients with brain tumors. These advances have resulted in greater precision in tumor surgical resection and lower post-operative deficit.
Recent advances in genomics, transcriptomics, and epigenomics have shed needed light on mechanisms of tumor pathogenesis, and allowed refined classification of adult and pediatric brain tumor subtypes, as well as providing molecular information useful in treatment stratification. Moreover, novel genetic and epigenetic biomarkers have great promise in tailoring preventive care and disease prognosis. The use of novel gene therapy approaches may finally allow site-specific delivery of therapeutic molecules, using either viral or non-viral delivery vehicles, and have opened new horizons and opportunities in the field of neuroscience and neurosurgery.
In this Special Issue we will focus on articles in the field of neuroscience and neurosurgery that describe:
• Intraoperative ultrasound
• Intraoperative CT
• Gene expression
• Genetic variants
• DNA methylation biomarkers
• Non-coding RNA expression
• Gene therapy
We welcome interested investigators to submit original papers, systematic reviews, or meta-analyses on these very interesting topics.
Dr. Nicola Montemurro and Dr. Andrea Stoccoro
Manuscripts should be submitted via our online editorial system at https://imr.propub.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to start your submission. Manuscripts can be submitted now or up until the deadline. All papers will go through peer-review process. Accepted papers will be published in the journal (as soon as accepted) and meanwhile listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, reviews as well as short communications are preferred. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office to announce on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts will be thoroughly refereed through a double-blind peer-review process. Please visit the Instruction for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) in this open access journal is 2200 USD. Submitted manuscripts should be well formatted in good English.
- Open Access ReviewRole of Advanced MR Imaging in Diagnosis of Neurological Malignancies: Current Status and Future PerspectiveAkram M Eraky, Ryan T. Beck, Randall W. Treffy, Daniel M. Aaronson, Hirad HedayatJ. Integr. Neurosci. 2023, 22(3), 73; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.jin2203073(This article belongs to the Special Issue New Technologies in Neuroscience and Neurosurgery)25Downloads170Views
- Open Access Original ResearchA Combination of 3D TOF MRA and FIESTA Predicts Surgery-Needed Primary Trigeminal Neuralgia and Specific Offending VesselsMingfang Hu, Wenli Zhou, Weiqiang Shen, Huimei Zhang, Jian ShenJ. Integr. Neurosci. 2022, 21(6), 169; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.jin2106169(This article belongs to the Special Issue New Technologies in Neuroscience and Neurosurgery)49Downloads220Views