IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 37 / Issue 5 / DOI: 10.12892/ejgo3431.2016

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Original Research
Histopathological correlation of splenic disease with radiological and surgical findings: should we incorporate splenectomy into standard procedures for disseminated Müllerian adenocarcinoma?
Show Less
1 Pan-Birmingham Gynaecological Cancer Centre, Birmingham City Hospital, Dudley Road, Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2016, 37(5), 678–684;
Published: 10 October 2016

Purpose of investigation: To determine the positive predictive value (PPV) of both preoperative radiological and intraoperative identification of splenic disease in cases of advanced and recurrent gynaecological malignancy. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study of all splenectomies performed during surgeries for disseminated gynaecological malignancy at the Pan Birmingham Gynaecological Cancer Centre between May 21st, 2008 and January 31st, 2015. Results: Forty-one women were identified, most of whom had Stage 3C, high grade, serous Mullerian adenocarcinomas. Thirty-seven (90.2%) spleens were removed because of intraoperative suspicion of disease and the remaining four (9.8%) were removed following inadvertent injury. No spleens were detected radiologically that did not have obvious macroscopic disease. The PPV for the preoperative and intraoperative detection of splenic disease were 88.9% and 91.9%, respectively. Half of the spleens removed following inadvertent injury had disease identified following histopathological examination. Conclusion: Intraoperative identification of splenic disease correlates well with histopathological examination. However, in 50% of splenectomies performed following inadvertent trauma and where disease was not suspected, metastases were identified.
Gynaecological malignancy
Positive predictive value
Back to top