Cite this article
Volume | Year
European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on imrpress.com as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.
Tracking of cervical cancer in 7,519 patients: a study of the prevalence of altered cytologies
1 1Pathology Department, Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP), Escola Paulista de Medicina (EPM), São Paulo (Brazil)
2 2Gynecology Department, Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP), Escola Paulista de Medicina (EPM), São Paulo (Brazil)
3 3Interdepartmental Health Economics Group (GRIDES), Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP), Escola Paulista de Medicina (EPM), São Paulo (Brazil)
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2015, 36(4), 437–441; https://doi.org/10.12892/ejgo2687.2015
Published: 10 August 2015
Purpose: To evaluate the outcome and adherence of 535 patients with cytological changes. Materials and Methods: Study of 7519 smear tests harvested in 2007. Results: Of the 7,519 (100%) patients analyzed, 6,964 (92.6%) had cytology negative for intraepithelial lesion or malignancy, 535 (7.1%) abnormalities in epithelial cells, and 20 (0.3%) were unsatisfactory. Of these 535 (100%) patients, 511 (95.5%) were referred to the outpatient clinic and colposcopic exam submitted and 24 (4.5%) did not return to the clinic. The group participated in the ambulatory visits, 302 (59.1%) underwent colposcopy-guided biopsy, and the remaining 209 (40.9%) examinations were negative. Conclusion: The cytological examination remains the method of choice for cervical cancer screening. It includes low costs, is effective, and well-accepted. Early diagnosis minimises the cost of research. Universities have an important role in the training of health professionals and also in the development of research.
Uterine cervical neoplasm