IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 35 / Issue 3 / DOI: 10.12892/ejgo26212014

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on imrpress.com as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Open Access Distinguished Expert Series
The ideal cervical cancer screening recommendation for Belgium, an industrialized country in Europe
Show Less
1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Multidisciplinary Breast and Gynecologic Oncology Clinic, Antwerp University Hospital - University of Antwerp, Antwerp (Belgium)
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2014, 35(3), 211–218; https://doi.org/10.12892/ejgo26212014
Published: 10 June 2014
Abstract

Cervical cancer should be a historical disease, why are we not succeeding! The prophylactic vaccination will reduce cervical cancer by almost 80% in Belgium. Cervical cancer screening should therefore remain in order to prevent the remaining 20%. The current used Pap cytology test misses 50% of all clinically significant precancers and cancers at the time of testing. The test should remain but the analysis should be altered. The screening should be modified based on our knowledge of human papillomavirus (HPV) as causal factor. Instead of looking for a cell abnormality, one should look for the presence of HPV. Then depending on the test, only two to ten percent of all relevant lesions are missed. The introduction of the vaccination should lead to the re-introduction of the screening based on HPV. This will not only lead to a considerable reduction in morbidity and mortality, allow longer screening intervals, but it will also be more cost-effective. More for less should be the driving force in cervical cancer screening if we want to be successful.
Keywords
Cervical cancer screening
Cytology
HPV
Pap triage of HPV positive
Mortality
Sensitivity
History
Vaccination
Share
Back to top