European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on imrpress.com as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.
Efficacy of gerncitabine in heavily pretreated advanced ovarian cancer patients
Single agent gemcitabine was used in recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer patients after standard treatment with debulking surgery and platin-paclitaxel based chemotherapy. Response rates and toxicity results were evaluated retrospectively. Gemcitabine was given in 1000 mg/m2 intravenous infusion over 30 minutes at 1, 8, 15 days of every 28 days. Clinical response was evaluated with clinical findings, serum CA 125 levels, and computerized tomography. Twenty-two patients - ten as second-line, 11 as third-line, and one as fourth line - received gemcitabine. Seven patients received six courses, nine cases three, five cases two and one case one course of treatment. There were four (18.2%) partial and two (9.1 %) complete responses with an overall response rate of 27.3%. Stable disease was also observed in three more cases. The progression-free interval was found to be a median of three months. Grade 3-4 neutropenia was seen in two (9.1 %) and grade 3-4 thrombocytopenia was seen in four (18.2%) cases. Pancytopenia was observed in one (4.5%) patient. There was no grade 3-4 non-hematological toxicity. Antitumoral activity is encouraging in heavily pretreated ovarian cancer patients. A short progression-free interval is noticeable in responding cases. Toxicity is mainly hematologic and moderate.