IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 23 / Issue 5 / pii/2002210

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on imrpress.com as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Open Access Original Research

Treating intraepithelial lesions of the uterine cervix by laser CO2. Evaluation of the past, appraisal for the future

Show Less
1 Colposcopy and Laser Surgery Unit, lst Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Athens University, “Alexandra” Hospital, Athens (Greece)
2 Laboratory of Surgical Research, lst Department of Surgery, Athens University, “Hippokration” Hospital, Athens (Greece)
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2002, 23(5), 463–468;
Published: 10 October 2002
Abstract

Background and Objective: Carbon dioxide laser (CO2) has been widely used in the past for the treatment of squamous intrae­pithelial lesions (SIL) of the uterine cervix. We present our 10-year experience of using this modality while evaluating its current and future use. Materials and Methods: From 1988 to 1998, 3,078 women were treated for an intraepithelial lesion of the uterine cervix (SIL) by laser CO2 either by vaporization or conization. The procedure was performed on an outpatient basis and was well tolerated by the great majority of patients. The mean age of the women treated by vaporization was 27.5 years whereas of those managed by conization, 34.8 years. Results: From the 3,078 women, 750 (24.4%) underwent laser vaporization and the remaining 2,328 (75.6%), conization of the cervix. Complications were minimal and consisted of intraoperative and postoperative bleeding (0.56%), pelvic infections (0.04%) and cervical stenosis (1.1%). Mean follow-up time was 83 months (range 24-142). Relapsing disease (either persistent or recurrent) was detected in 5.6% of the vaporization and 3.9% of the conization group. Conclusions: The management of SIL of the uterine cervix by laser CO2 offers excellent success rates with minor complications. The preservation of the anatomical integrity of the cervical tissue offers a better follow-up of these patients and the potential for repeat treatment. Although other treatment modalities are available, we believe that laser CO2 represents an excellent surgical tool for the management of intraepithelial lesions of the uterine cervix.

Keywords
CO
laser
Squamous intraepithelial lesions (SIL)
Cervix
Share
Back to top