- S.S.D. Sperimentazione Animale, Istituto Nazionale Tumori–IRCCS–Fondazione G. Pascale, 80131 Naples, ItalyInterests: In vitro and in vivo experimental anticancer strategies; Drug combination studies; Epigenetic drugs; Colon cancer; Prostate cancer; Repurposing; High-throughput and high content screening
Cancer metastasis is the main cause of treatment failure and mortality in cancer patients. Cancer is a complex and heterogeneous disease process involving multiple currently undiscovered mechanisms. Understanding the molecular mechanisms, particularly those involving cancer evolution, heterogeneity and metastasis, is essential to develop safe and effective treatments, as well as implementing adequate prevention measures. There are many aspects involved in cancer progression and metastasis such as epithelial mesenchimal transition (EMT), hypoxia, tyrosine kinase activaction, angiogenesis, anoikis, drug resistance, cell adhesion and invasion, apoptosis, autophagy, and cancer stem cells. Primary tumors, especially in the early stages, can be eradicated with surgery or radiotherapy, while metastases remain the leading cause of cancer death.
The differences in cellular function between primary and metastatic tumors are key determinants for the identification of the mechanisms for metastases. A targeted approach for the treatment of cancer and metastasis is mandatory to develop a rational prevention strategy.
In this Special Issue we are seeking original research articles or literature reviews to highlight the recent efforts in understanding the molecular events that give rise to cancer progression and metastasis; and the novel therapeutic strategies to fight it. We also seek contributions that highlight the combination of natural compounds, drug repurposing or dietary approaches as strategies to inhibit cancer progression and metastases. Articles describing natural compounds or synergism between two or more drugs that have beneficial effects which could be used for the treatment of cancer and metastases are also welcomed.
Dr. Antonio Barbieri and Dr. Francesca Bruzzese
Manuscripts should be submitted via our online editorial system at https://imr.propub.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to start your submission. Manuscripts can be submitted now or up until the deadline. All papers will go through peer-review process. Accepted papers will be published in the journal (as soon as accepted) and meanwhile listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, reviews as well as short communications are preferred. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office to announce on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts will be thoroughly refereed through a double-blind peer-review process. Please visit the Instruction for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) in this open access journal is 2500 USD. Submitted manuscripts should be well formatted in good English.
- Myc-Associated Zinc Finger Protein Promotes Metastasis of Papillary Thyroid CancerChuanjun Zheng, Hongmei Wu, Shidong Zhang, Run Tian, ... Xiaonian ZhuFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2023, 28(8), 162; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl280816224Downloads117Views
- New Insights into Extracellular Vesicles between Adipocytes and Breast Cancer Orchestrating Tumor ProgressionJing Cui, Weida Shen, Haiyan ZhaoFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2023, 28(6), 129; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl280612945Downloads162Views
- The Prognostic Significance of Apoptotic Protease Activating Factor (Apaf-1) Protein Expression in Colon Adenocarcinoma Tissue-Preliminary ReportMarlena Brzozowa-Zasada, Natalia Matysiak, Adam Piecuch, Ewa Gawełek, ... Marek J. ŁosFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2023, 28(2), 29; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl280202954Downloads248Views
- Quercetin, the Ingredient of Xihuang Pills, Inhibits Hepatocellular Carcinoma by Regulating Autophagy and Macrophage PolarizationRuoxia Wu, Ting Zhou, Jiaqing Xiong, Zhen Zhang, ... Xuefei TianFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(12), 323; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl2712323107Downloads3Citations353Views
- The Synergism of Natural Compounds and Conventional Therapeutics against Colorectal Cancer Progression and MetastasisZimao Liang, Han Xie, Weixing Shen, Le Shao, ... Qibiao WuFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(9), 263; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl2709263218Downloads4Citations389Views
- Targeting Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Using Mesenchymal Stem Cell Exosomes for Therapeutic MicroRNA-let-7c DeliveryIda Kurniawati, Ming-Che Liu, Chia-Ling Hsieh, Anh Duy Do, Shian-Ying SungFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(9), 256; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl270925689Downloads6Citations344Views
- Potential Mechanisms by which Glucocorticoids Induce Breast Carcinogenesis through Nrf2 InhibitionAldo Giudice, Silvana Mirella Aliberti, Antonio Barbieri, Paola Pentangelo, ... Mario CapunzoFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(7), 223; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl2707223132Downloads4Citations508Views
- The Role and Mechanisms of Action of Natural Compounds in the Prevention and Treatment of Cancer and Cancer MetastasisYunqiao Wang, Mingtai Chen, Hao Yu, Gang Yuan, ... Qibiao WuFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(6), 192; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl2706192213Downloads5Citations473Views
- Fluid Shear Stress-Induced Exosomes from Liver Cancer Cells Promote Activation of Cancer-Associated Fibroblasts via IGF2-PI3K AxisTang Feng, Fei Fang, Chunhe Zhang, Tiantian Li, ... Xiaoheng LiuFront. Biosci. (Landmark Ed) 2022, 27(3), 104; https://doi.org/10.31083/j.fbl2703104148Downloads8Citations492Views