IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 27 / Issue 6 / pii/2006244

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Original Research

Topotecan as a second-line therapy in patients with ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: initial response and long-term follow-up

Show Less
1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
2 Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2006, 27(6), 603–606;
Published: 10 December 2006

The purpose of this study was to evaluate the role of topotecan at a dose of 5-day standard 1.5 mg/m2/day in patients with relapsed ovarian cancer. Two different groups of patients were included. In group 1, 23 patients who had bidemensionally measurable disease were examined, and in group 2, 11 patients were given topotecan after positive second-look laparotomy (SLL) were analyzed. Total number of cycles was 190 with a median value of six cycles. In group I, three (13%) patients had complete response (CR) and seven (30%) had partial response (PR) with a total response rate of 43%. Six patients (27%) had stable disease (SD), and seven (30%) had progressive disease (PD). Median survival durations for patients with CR, PR, SD, and PD were 35, 14, 15, and two months, respectively. In group 2, two patients had PD during treatment. The remaining nine patients had no measurable disase or marker relapse at the end of treatment period. Median survival duration was 27 months. In conclusion, topotecan had significant antitumor activity as a second-line therapy in relapsed ovarian cancer patients with measurable disease. In a subgroup of patients with posi­tive second-look laparotomy topotecan was also associated with long median survival duration.

Ovarian cancer
Back to top