IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 19 / Issue 4 / pii/1998188

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Case Report

The role of mammography in the diagnostic approach of breast hamartomas

Show Less
1 Radiodiagnostic Department, Mammography Unit “Agios Savvas” Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 1998, 19(4), 399–400;
Published: 10 August 1998

Purpose: Hamartomas are rare benign breast tumors which surfaced with the entrance of mammography in the diagnostic algo­rithm of breast lesions. In the present study the mammography findings of breast hamartomas were analyzed in relation to the histo­logic confirmation of the diagnosis. Patients and Methods: During the seven-year period between January 1990 and January 1997 we studied 45 patients, aged from 32 to 66 years, with a clinical and/or mammographic finding of a breast lump, highly suspicious of hamartoma. In 29 (64.4%) the tumor was found in the left breast and in the remaining 16 (35.6%) in the right breast. Results: The preoperative mammography of 41 patients revealed a nodular opaque mass of a nonhomogeneous composition and only four had the typical hamartoma picture. The tumor diameter ranged between 0.7-6.5 cm. All tumors were excised and the histological reports confirmed the diagnosis of hamartoma. Conclusion: Mammography helps in the diagnosis of hamartomas. Nevertheless, the final diagnosis must be based on the histo­logical analysis of the tumor.

Back to top