IMR Press / EJGO / Volume 18 / Issue 1 / pii/1997116

European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology (EJGO) is published by IMR Press from Volume 40 Issue 1 (2019). Previous articles were published by another publisher on a subscription basis, and they are hosted by IMR Press on as a courtesy and upon agreement with S.O.G.

Original Research

Malignant vulva-vaginal melanoma: a report of 7 cases

Show Less
1 Department of Gynecologic Surgery/Gynecologic Oncology, Hospital Universitario Materno-Infantil Vall d' Hebrón, Barcelona, Spain
2 Department of Surgical Pathology/Gynecologic Pathology, Hospital Universitario Vall d' Hebrón, Barcelona, Spain
Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 1997, 18(1), 63–67;
Published: 10 February 1997

To evaluate the clinical outcome of patients suffering from primary vulva-vaginal malignant melanoma retrospective review of clinical and pathological data of six patients with vulvar malignant melanoma and one patient with vaginal melanoma was done Patients were staged using the 1988 FIGO histological classification for vulvar cancer, and the 1992 American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) classification for malignant melanoma of the skin. Clinical features, type of surgery, adjuvant therapy, recurrences, distant metastasis, and survival were recorded. Of 174 primary cancers of the vulva, six were malignant melanomas (3.4%), the second most common cause of vulvar cancer. Within the same period, only one primary vaginal melanoma was detected among 57 primary vaginal cancers (1.7%). The median age of all patients was 71 (range 61-84). We performed different surgical procedures, including a radical local excision of the lesion in the vaginal melanoma, a radical hemivulvectomy in one case, a radical vulvectomy in an other case, and a radical vulvectomy with lymph node dissection en bloc in three cases. According to the l 988 FIGO classification for vulvar carcinomas, three patients were diagnosed as stage I and four as stage III melanomas; and using the 1992 AJCC classification for malignant melanoma of the skin, all patients were staged as stage III. Two out of five patients, with a follow-up longer than two years, continued to live and were disease free at the last check-up (40%); the rest of them (60%) died of disease 2.9 months after the diagnosis of the distant metastasis. Vulvo-vaginal malignant melanomas are neoplasias with a very poor prognosis and a short period of time between the detection of distant metastasis and death. Although treatment is not clear in vaginal melanoma, the most accepted treatment in vulvar mela­nomas is the radical local excision of the lesion with a homolateral inguinofemoral lymphadenectomy.

Vulvar melanoma
Vaginal melanoma
Genital malignant melanoma
Radical hemivulvectomy
Back to top